Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Psalm 16: I have no good apart from you

          David opens the 16th Psalm with the cry: "Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge." David finds his soul in such danger that he cries out unto the Lord for deliverance. Yet, in the next line, he speaks not of his calamity. Rather, David affirms that the Lord is his God and utters: "I have no good apart from you." Amidst David's troubles, he remembers that all the goodness he experiences come from no other source that God Himself.

     Consider the rains which water the earth. Which drop falls at the behest of man? Look to the clouds that veil and reveal the sun. Who commands them? It is the Lord, the Almighty God. Man works no good for even himself, save those passed into his capacity by Providence.

     David teaches us that in trials and hardship, our chief consolation is in the goodness of God himself. Apart from the Lord, there is no good thing.

    The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
        you hold my lot.
    The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
        indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

(Psalm 16:5-6)

No comments: