Saturday, August 02, 2008

Reformed Catechisms

Challies answers a reader's email about Reformed catechisms. One of the benefits of catechizing children is that it grounds them in Biblical doctrine from an early age. Challies has an good example of how this pays off:
Before leaving Reformed circles I had never heard anyone claim to hear from God nor had I really seen people wrestle with issues of God’s guidance. These were foreign concepts to me. It took me some time to figure out why this was not a struggle for me. I did not wrestle with issues of God’s guidance because I had been taught firm principles from my years of catechetical instruction.
Read the whole thing: Catechetical Instruction

A while back, I posted the entirety of Spurgeon's Puritan Catechism. Rather than link back to that, I direct you to the Spurgeon Archive where you can find the catechsim with Scripture proofs: A Puritan Catechsim

I also wrote a post on the uses of a catechism: The Purpose of a Catechism

2 comments:

David Porter said...

My first visit to your blog. I found you over at Tim Challies.

I am a fellow Arizonan and attend Scottsdale Bible Church.

Thanks for a great blog, good stuff!

David Porter said...

PS

Our new pastor is a Hillsdale Graduate and I am also from Michigan, in Okemos.