Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What He Said: John Owen II

When a man rights against his sin only with arguments from the issue or the punishment due unto it, this is a sign that sin has taken great possession of the will, and that in the heart there is a superfluity of naughtiness [James 1:21]. Such a man as opposes nothing to the seduction of sin and lust in his heart but fear of shame among men or hell from God, is sufficiently resolved to do the sin if there were no punishment attending it.
- John Owen, On The Mortification of Sin in the Believer

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I know it's a serious quote, but the words "superfluity of naughtiness" amused me.

P.S. In Google reader, your bio came up under this quote...it was weird.

Conni said...

OK, so this is off topic, but I'm amused that you are quoting John Owen...did you know that the name I had picked out for you was John Owen!!! Dad chose Jacob Paul!!

Jacob said...

Elizabeth,
I also chuckled when I came to "naughtiness."

Mom,
I do remember that story and it would have been great to have had that name, as Owen is a very good theologian.