Monday, April 07, 2008

The Reformation Returns

Over at Reformation Theology, Nathan Pitchford has made a list of five factors in the rise of interest in Reformed theology:

1. Dissatisfaction with the theology and religious
environment of our parents.

2. Desire for a rootedness and connectedness with the
historic faith.

3. The resurgence of Puritan literature.

4. John Piper.

5. The internet (and Monergism in particular).
Nathan unpacks each of these points, showing why he thinks each one is a factor. I ordered Collin Hansen's new book, Young Restless and Reformed, which also explores this return to a more historic grounding in theology. It hasn't arrived in the mail yet, but when it does, I will be curious to see if Hansen picks up on some of the same reasons.

For those of my readers who consider themselves Reformed, or are interested in Reformed theology, what attracted you to it, and what have been factors in your shift?

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That book was in my hand as I read your post...

Jacob said...

According to the USPS tracker, my copy went from Oregon to Federal Way to Denver, where I assume it will eventually leave and make it's way down here...
Be glad you live so close to their warehouse is the moral of the story!

Kelly said...

I think what makes me laugh the most is when I begin to speak of predestination and election, I am immediately called a calvanist :) I do agree with a lot of his points but some am still grasping...

Jacob said...

"Semper reformanda" always reforming

I'm about finished with R.C. Sproul's book Chosen By God and while it primarily focuses on predestination, he does a good job of weaving in explanations of a lot of other things. The grasping mind might find it a prudent investment.

Elizabeth said...

In answer to the question in your post, I've been thinking what got me to be more Reformed in my thinking, as I wasn't raised in that tradition.

College certainly played a large role. From having friends who were Reformed (although we didn't discuss it a whole lot) to a disillusioment with pop culture Christianity (aided by, of all things, sign language interpreting), I can see God using those four years in my life in a lot of ways.

The Internet played a large role--it exposed me to Calvinism in a positive light.

Memorizing Ephesians in 8th grade helped (though it took awhile for it to sink in), and I eventually realized that my objections to Calvinism were all human, and not biblical.

Those are my disjointed thoughts. :)

Anna said...

Very interesting. I actually inherited quite a bit of my theology from my parents, but they completely changed from THEIR parents' theology. So they were a generation ahead, almost. I really identify with numbers 2-5, although I don't frequent Monergism. So it seems like a good summary.