Monday, April 14, 2008

The Conclusion of the Puritan Catechism

This morning, I posted the last question of the Puritan Catechism. I now have not only the entire catechism on my blog, but also the 1689 London Baptist Confession. I think I'll take a break with posting creeds and catechisms for the time being, but I am currently thinking about doing something similar with the Canons of Dordt, where what are now known as the Five Points were affirmed against the Five Points of the Arminian Remonstrants. Dort is important, not only because it affirmed these five Biblical doctrines, but also because in spite of being an issue for the churches in the Netherlands, representatives from Reformed churches all over Europe were present. But back to the catechism...

As I blogged about before, catechisms are designed to be summaries of doctrine put together primarily for the purpose of educating new Christians or the children of Christians. The series of questions and answers provide an outline for a Christian worldview, built upon the truths of Scripture. As I said before, I know have the entire catechism on my blog, and so if you would like to go through a read them all from the beginning, here it is:

A Puritan Catechism

The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith

The Purpose of a Catechism

A Body of Beliefs

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'd be interested it knowing more about the Cannons of Dordt. It wasn't until I heard Mark Driscoll preach on predestination that I even knew how TULIP came about/the fact that it was a response to the points of Arminianism.

Jacob said...

It's the dirty little secret of Arminian theology: their five points came first.