Sunday, January 07, 2007

Abhor What Is Evil

I do not deny that other people have other views on religion, politics and reality that differ from my own. I do deny their equal validity when it comes to the question of whether or not these views are true. I have no difficulty in accepting the fact that other people think differently than I do. I also, as I am sure is very evident, have no difficulty in accepting the fact that when I assert proposition “A” and someone else asserts proposition “~A,” that one of us is wrong. Further, it is not hard for me to think myself right and the other person wrong because of it. I have my reasons for asserting “A,” and since, given the Law of Non-Contradiction, we cannot both be right, so he must, by necessity, if I am right, be wrong. It’s a matter of logic and common sense.

Further, the killing of unborn children is evil. It is true. The taking of innocent human life is murder and every time someone aborts a baby or destroys an embryo, they are committing infanticide. That is my worldview and I’m not inclined to sit back and give equal validity to those who think the otherwise. Yes, they are free to think anyway they like, but it does not follow that it is right, nor am I wrong for asserting that they are wrong. Those who think it a good idea to allow innocent children to be aborted are doing far more to dehumanize our culture than anything I will ever write. I do not seek to live in an anti-abortion culture, but to live in a truly pro-life culture.

Should we bomb abortion clinics or assassinate doctors who destroy embryos? No. The government is given the authority to carry out justice, not me or any collection of individuals who share my ideas. Should we round up everyone in Missouri who voted for Amendment 2 and heard them into concentration camps? No. “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.” (Eph. 6:12) When we draw our swords to fight the evil that lurks about us, we are fighting the evil that resides in our very hearts that no amount of literal culling can ever remove.

We fight evil whenever we “do justice, love kindness and walk humbly before God.” Sadly, the Church has fallen idle. The Christian live is not about “me ‘n Jesus doin’ our own thing,” but is about loving God and delighting in His commands. Jesus is more than a relationship. He is the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity who is eternally begotten by the Father, and High Priest who intercedes for us. Christianity involves suffering and hardship, something we do not like. We think Jesus is our buddy who wants us to be comfortable in our affluent, suburban homes, sipping non-alcoholic beverages while listening to cheesy music that makes us feel good about ourselves. We have been told that "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matt. 16:24)

Denying our comfort for the sake of Christ means putting aside our comforts and interacting with the culture around us. It means doing uncomfortable and unpopular things like standing for truth and life in spite of the consequences. It means serving others, especially those who are not as fortunate as you. If Christ washed the feet of His stinky, smelly disciples and told them to do likewise, what do you think we are suppose to be doing? Ever time we die to self and put someone else’s needs before our own, before our comforts and conveniences, we are fighting evil. Every time you tell someone they are a sinner, just like you, and share the Gospel with them, you are drawing your sword against the darkness around you. Every time to you take the time to tell someone why you believe killing unborn children is wrong, you are fighting injustice.

Do we bomb abortion clinics? No. But do we hold morally responsible those who condone the killing of innocent, unborn children? Yes. We do this and we try to show them why they are wrong. Democracy can be as much a tyrant as a dictator like Saddam. The French Revolution exemplifies this. Those who condone and support evil are responsible for the consequences of their choices.

We must stand against evil and stand for good. We must not give in or compromise on the truth. Christians must give up their comfort and ease for the sake of the Gospel. They must leave the little bastion of “safety” they have built for themselves and proclaim the exclusive claims of Christ to the world at any cost. The Christian ought to be willing to fight, and if need be, die, for the sake of the truth. The willingness to endure martyrdom rather than a life of ease is a precious gift.

I do not write for the sake of writing, nor to I write to make a mess. I write with the hope that perhaps something I say could be used to wake up a Christian from his slumber and encourage him to fight the good fight of faith in an age of apathy and unbelief.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Why can there not be multiple "rights"?

Your view of "good" differs greatly from my view of "good". I am inclined to believe that I am right, and you are inclined to believe that you are right. By your law of non-contradiction, I am wrong to you, but following the same logic, you are wrong to me. Does that make us both wrong? Or both right? Or are we canceled out to neutral?

I too try to live as God wants me to. I simply have a different interpretation of what is right and what is not. The Bible is unclear on many things, it is old, and it can be interpreted in many ways. Each denomination feels they are right in their interpretation, and we have no way of knowing who is truly right, if any. My faith is based on living a good life, like I know God would want me to, but within that faith I include my own beliefs, based on my life and my experiences. Those beliefs are right (or wrong) to me, because I personally have experience with them.

Jacob Douvier said...

Emily,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. To address your first paragraph, the situation we are in is one in which one of us must be right and one of us must be wrong. We cannot both be right. The Law of Non-Contradiction works this way: If I say that murder is ok, and you say that it is not ok, we cannot both be right. They are inherently contradictory statements and only one can be true. I grant that it is possible that we are both wrong, but that would imply a third position, and I just don't know what such a position would look like, especialy when it comes to something like abortion. My point is that when there is a conflict, we cannot simply pass it off as being "true for you and no true for me." Either abortion is good or it is not. There is no middle ground.

Regarding what you said about your beliefs and experiences, I would encourage you to reconsider. Basing your beliefs on your own experiences is shakey, at best. Have you ever been decived? Lied to? Have you ever experienced something that you later found out to be false? Experience is not a good basis for morals. God's Word alone is.

You said that we have no way of knowing which view is truly right. How do you know this?

Thanks again for stopping by. Hopefully there will be time to continue dialoging.